tisdag 31 december 2019

Let the renovation start


Ok it’s time to start with the renovation of one of the VeloSoléxes that I have. This one I bought for spare parts but it seems to nice to be a spare part moped so it will be my monster VeloSoléx. Meaning it will be the one with a tuned engine that will do horrifying 35 km/h. To all of you that don’t use the metric system, that’s awfully fast, Like a space shuttle on ecstasy…

The VeloSoléx is far to nice to be a spare moped.
The VeloSoléx has crasched some times and the handlebar is bent inwards on both sides. 

Some electric default

Missing the cover 
The throttle is at maximum and the handbrake is conected to the decompression. Genius... Not

So with two mopeds, both red, and three engines it will be a couple of fun weeks coming up.
First we start with the dismantling of the engine. Basically it’s straight forward and I use to start with the tank and the cover to the fly wheel. I do have two tools I made my self, the bearing puller and the fly wheel puller. Otherwise it’s the ordinary workshop tools that I collected over the years and I particular the 6 – 14 mm spanners and the 21 mm spanner when dismantling the clutch.  

I made an engine stand but you could do this operation with the engine mounted but it’s easier to have the engine on the workshop . The only part that I find a bit hard is the dismantling of the crankshaft and the bearing 6302 next to the crankshaft. I use to put the engine on my barbecue and let it heat up so that the aluminium expands a bit faster than the bearing in steel. Then I use a bearing puller to extract the bearing from the engine.

Engine stand from scrap material

Home made baering puller. :-)

Ready to go


Slowly getting there. 


What's cooking? 
An engine! 


Pulling out the bearing. 

After the dismantling its time to clean all the parts and I use degreaser first to get the worst grease of the parts before I put them in the ultrasonic cleaner.
Lots of dirt comming off!


Then in to the ultrasonic cleaner 
Done!


Now it’s time to order some new bearings and oil seals etc before we assemble the engines again. Three engines to do and one of them should be a MONSTER engine.
😊 



1 kommentar: